Sick To Death Chester is a brand new history of medicine attraction/museum located on Bridge Street in Chester. A playground of plague with a smatter of splatter, and a chance to poke into our medical past. Opening 20th of May 2021 and located in a beautiful Grade II listed Church on Chester Rows.
Laugh as you learn how Chester dealt with ailments and diseases over the centuries. Examine the reason why autopsies were essential in furthering our understanding of the human body, and even try performing one yourself! Find out why plague doctors wore that weird-looking mask, and explore the link between magic and medicine. Before you leave, will you dare enter the TURDIS, the only time-travelling toilet in existence?
- Meet the Grim Reaper and Asclepius, the ancient Greek God of medicine as they guide you through the weird and wonderful history of medicine.
- Experience the past in a way that has never been done before!
- Explore the pestilence ridden “Diagnosis Alley”, taking care to avoid the deadly diseases which lurk on every surface. Will you survive?
- Examine the reason why autopsies were so important to furthering our understanding of the human body and maybe try performing one yourself?
- Why does the plague doctor wear his strange mask?
- Enter the TURDIS the only time travelling toilet in existence!
- Quacks! who are the villains of medicine?
- Magic & Medicine – Are magic potions real?
- What does your poo say about you?
- Sex and the cyst (parent advisory)
- Much more …….
Sick to Death Chester Ticket Prices
- Adult Ticket – £6.00
- Child – £3.50
- Student / Concession – £5.00
Thursday to Sunday – 10:00am to 6:00pm
Sick to Death Chester Directions
If you’re a cyclist, we salute you. We have one life, one planet, and one opportunity to make a difference.
If you cycle here, there’s a bike park opposite them on Bridge Street. The city boasts over 2,500 bike parking spaces. Route planners on Chester Cycle City here
With direct links to Manchester, Liverpool and London, it is easy to get to Chester by rail. Chester Railway Station is a 20 minute walk to the venuw, or a 10 minute taxi ride which will set you back roughly £7.
Park & Ride
Chester has four Park & Ride locations across the city, operating every 12 – 15 minutes. Tickets cost £2 return per adult, children are free if accompanied by a paying adult.
There are lots of buses into and around Chester. The main bus station is Chester Bus Interchange, which is a 10 minute walk from us. The nearest bus stops are the Park & Ride stop on Pepper Street (Stand M) and Stop X on Grosvenor Street.
The nearest car parks to our venue:
- NCP Pepper Street, CH1 1DF (2 minute walk to us)
- Grosvenor Shopping Centre, CH1 1EA (3 minute walk to us)
King Kabs Taxis is Chester’s largest taxi company of 500 cars. Their office and taxi rank is situated just a few buildings up from the attraction.
Taxis can be booked in advance 01244 343434 or online. You can also book a taxi from their office.
Drop off / pick up points
It is possible to be dropped off by car or taxi outside our doors.
There is a large turning area outside King Kabs office
Wheelchair users or limited mobility
The venue is sadly not fully accessible, due to its raised location on Chester’s Medieval Rows. We’ll do whatever we can to help, and have compiled some information we hope you find useful in deciding whether to come.
- The front door is accessed via five steps from Bridge Street, and six steps with a central handrail from Pepper Street.
- There are three steps with a handrail to the rear of the venue.
- Once on site, the attraction is fully wheelchair accessible.
- We do not have any storage space available for wheelchairs.
If you have limited mobility and would like to visit the attraction, please contact them to arrange your visit; they will be happy to provide assistance.
There is one standard accessible toilet, located at the back of the attraction. The toilet has support rails, an emergency pull chord, and an accessible height sink with lever taps.
All support dogs are welcome at Sick to Death. Drinking water for dogs can be provided on request.
For those visiting with babies, buggies can be pushed around the attraction. They do not have storage for buggies. A baby change unit is located in the accessible toilet located towards the back of the attraction. Breast-feeding is welcomed in our venue.
A number of seats are available throughout the attraction, if you wish to sit and rest.
With the attraction being in the centre of the City there are plenty of restaurants and pubs nearby. La Fattoria Chester is 30 seconds away and Ruan Orchid Chester is only a 1 minute walk from the venue.
Sick to Death Chester, St Michael’s Church, Bridge Street, Chester, CH1 1NW
Telephone Number – 01244 408 963