This year, York Christmas Market takes place from November 16th until December 22nd 2023. Set in one of the UK’s most festive cities York really is a magical place to be at Christmas time.
This year is the 30th Anniversary of St Nicholas Fair which is where you will find over 100 alpine chalets scattered around central York. From the Made in Yorkshire Yuletide Village, where you will find fantastic Yorkshire produce to Parliament Street where market traders sell more traditional Christmas gifts on there stalls. There is fun to be had for the whole family. After the market why don’t you head over to The York Dungeon for some scary fun.
Once you’re all shopped out, rest those tired legs and relax in the cosy setting of Thor’s Tipi, with a hot chocolate, or perhaps something stronger all in a twinkly, Christmas style tipi with real log fire.
New for 2023 is a traditional Swiss Chalet named The Winter Hutte. This new attraction will offer a ‘swiss with a twist’ dining experience by the Michelin-starred Andrew Pern. On offer will be Alpine favourites such as fondue, bratwurst and raclette, as well as off-piste specials such as pheasant with smoked garlic, baked tartiflette with reblochon cheese and creamy wild chestnut mushrooms, and peppers & mountain spices with alpine ‘spätzle’ dumplings. The restaurant has seats for 80 covers and offers booth seating for an authentic feel.
The Winter Hütte Bar will be serving seasonal favourites such as gluhwein and hot chocolate, as well as draught beers from Brew York, a large selection of wines and a range of cocktails curated by The Star Inn the City’s mixologist.
The stalls on the market will be open between the following times:
- 10:00am – 6:00pm Sunday to Thursday
- 10:00am – 8:00pm Friday & Saturday
Hotels Near York Christmas Market
To fully immerse yourself in the festive atmosphere, consider staying at one of the hotels or guesthouses near York Christmas Market. Here are a few recommendations:
1. **The Grand**: Opposite the original city walls, this sophisticated Edwardian hotel is set in the former headquarters of the North Eastern Railway, and was built in 1906. It’s 4 minutes’ walk from York train station. Lavish rooms are individually decorated and have velvet drapes, oak panel headboards and Egyptian cotton linen. All feature free Wi-Fi, and en suite bathrooms with designer toiletries. Suites add separate lounge areas and Nespresso coffeemakers. Room service is available. Amenities include 2 restaurants, a bar with terrace seating (seasonal), a whiskey lounge, and a spa with a pool and a sauna. Valet parking is offered for a fee.
2. **Malmaisson York**: On a bustling street corner, this polished hotel is an 8-minute walk from both York train station and the Yorkshire Museum. It’s 9 minutes away by foot from the York Minster. The contemporary rooms provide flat-screen TVs and Wi-Fi, in addition to rainfall showers, minibars and kettles. Upgraded rooms add Nespresso machines. Suites feature separate living rooms and sofabeds. Room service is available 24/7. There’s a bright, hip restaurant, and a sleek bar offering terrace seating and minster views. Other amenities include a spa and a gym. Breakfast is available.
3. **Dean Court at York**: A 2-minute walk from York Minster cathedral and the York Theatre Royal, this stylish hotel in a 19th-century former clergy house is less than a mile from York Castle. Contemporary rooms have free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs and desks, as well as minifridges and coffeemakers. Some feature 4-poster beds and/or bunk beds. A modern restaurant offers Minster views, and serving a seasonal menu. There’s also a cafe and a bar. Parking is available (surcharge).
4. **Middletons York**: An 11-minute walk from York train station, this sophisticated hotel occupies a cluster of 6 historic buildings, including an old organ factory and a 17th-century former hospital. It’s 0.7 miles from York Minster. Smart, simple rooms are split across 6 buildings facing a grassy courtyard. They all include free Wi-Fi and en suite showers. Upgraded options add plush armchairs and free-standing tubs. Room service is available. Complimentary perks include breakfast served at a restaurant in an old 19th-century sawmill, plus access to a modern 24-hour gym offering classes and a spin studio.
5. **Hedley House Hotel**: Occupying a pair of adjoining townhouses on a leafy street, this polished hotel is a 12-minute walk from York railway station. The modern rooms all include en suite bathrooms, flat-screen TVs, and tea and coffeemaking facilities. DVD players are available on request. Upgraded rooms add Nespresso machines and bathrooms with mood lighting; apartments provide Wi-Fi and full kitchens. Amenities include off-street parking and full English breakfast served in a restaurant offering home-cooked dishes. There’s also a sauna, an outdoor hot tub and a BBQ grill. Spa treatments are available.
Or use the interactive map below:
Tours & Activities In York
Still feeling festive then check out guide to the best Christmas Markets in the UK.
York Christmas Market Address
York Christmas Market, Parliament Street, York, YO1 8SG
Christmas Markets Nearby
- Belfast Christmas Market
- Birmingham Christmas Market
- Chatsworth Christmas Market
- Chester Christmas Market
- Covent Garden Christmas Market
- Edinburgh Christmas Market
- Hyde Park Winter Wonderland
- Knutsford Christmas Market
- Leicester Square Christmas Market
- Lincoln Christmas Market
- Liverpool Christmas Market
- Manchester Christmas Markets
- Winchester Christmas Market