This year, Christmas at Chatsworth House takes place from 4th November 2023 till 7th January 2024. This year’s theme is the palace of Advent, 24 rooms will be filled with Christmas wonder and the sights, sounds and scents of the season. Travel under archways adorned with candy canes, handmade Christmas stockings and mistletoe. Explore a winter wonderland and glittering Christmas tree brooch forest.
At the heart of Chatsworth House this Xmas, you will find Father Christmas’ Workshop where they will be a hive of activity as preparations will be underway for the all important Christmas Eve deliveries. Keep your eyes peeled for his little helpers around the house, who you may spot making mischief while Father Christmas is away.
Christmas at Chatsworth is a special time, and the estate goes to great lengths to celebrate the season. Here are some highlights and traditions associated with Christmas at Chatsworth House:
Christmas at the farmyard
The farmyard will be lit up with decorations and lights ready for the children to meet the friendly farm animals. There will be guinea pig cuddly sessions and milking demonstrations. There will also be Christmas crafts in the barn, plus story time sessions with Father Christmas. Please note a separate ticket will be required to meet Santa.
Christmas in the garden
The festive theme will continue in the garden as a interactive light and sound trail pass the Cascade and through the Rock Garden and Maze. This will lead to a spectacular animated light show that will transform the house into a giant advent calendar. Please note as this attraction is outside you will have to wrap up warm. There is festive food and drink as you wander around the gardens.
From the 4th to the 26th of November your ticket will also include access to Chatsworth Christmas Market. Twinkling lights, live music and the scent of roasted chestnuts – soak up the festive atmosphere of the Market as you browse over 100 chalets for artisan gifts, one of a kind decorations and an array of culinary delights.
Ticket Information For Christmas At Chatsworth House
Your Christmas Ticket will include admission to the house, garden, farmyard and Christmas Market (when it is on). Pre-booking is essential especially at the weekends as it can get very busy especially on the run up to Christmas. Your ticket includes car parking, one car per transaction.
The time on your ticket is the time you must enter the house. You can visit the garden, farmyard and xmas market at any time during the day prior to last entry. Last entry to the farmyard is 4pm.
Entry to the house starts at 10am with last house entry at 4:30pm except on late night openings. See below.
Late night openings
Last entry to the house will be 5:30pm on the following dates:
- 4th November
- 10th & 11th November
- 17th & 18th November
Last entry to the house will be 6:30pm on the following dates:
- 24th & 25th November
- 1st & 2nd December
- 8th & 9th December
- 15th & 16th December
- 18th till 23rd December
- 27th till 30th December
Last entry to the house on New Year’s Eve will be 6pm. Chatsworth House, Garden & farmyard will be closed on the 24th, 25th & 26th of December. Chatsworth House is closed on the 1st of January.
The prices for the tickets are as follows:
- Adult – £34.00
- Child (3 to 16 year old’s) – £19.00
- Child under 2 – FREE
- Family Ticket (2 adults and up to 3 children) – £84.00
- Carers – FREE, don’t book a tickets for carers when booking your tickets online as they will be given complimentary admission on arrival.
Hotels Near Chatsworth House
To fully immerse yourself in the festive atmosphere, consider staying at one of the hotels or guesthouses near Chatsworth House. Here are a few recommendations:
1. **Devonshire Arms at Beeley**: Located only a couple of miles away from the market. Each of the 18 individually designed bedrooms has an en-suite bathroom. Rooms are situated either in the main inn or the converted adjoining cottages.
2. **Grouse and Claret**: Dating back to the 18th century, the Grouse and Claret is situated in Rowsley, on the A6 between Matlock and Bakewell. With free Wi-Fi and free onsite parking, the property sits at the gateway to the Peak District National Park.
3. **Ash Cottage**: Situated in Bakewell, just 2 miles from Chatsworth House, Ash Cottage features accommodation with a garden, a terrace and free WiFi. The 5-star holiday home is 12 miles from Buxton Opera House.
4. **The Rutland Arms Hotel**: This 19th-century coaching inn is situated between Matlock and Buxton in the heart of the Peak District. Located in the centre of Bakewell’s historic market town, the property is easily accessible for visiting Haddon Hall, a 5-minute drive away. Located on the edge of the Chatsworth Estate, Chatsworth House can be reached by a short 10-minute drive.
5. **The Maynard**: Set in Grindleford Bridge, 4 miles from Chatsworth House, The Maynard offers accommodation with a garden, free private parking, a terrace and a restaurant. Offering a bar, the property is located within 10 miles of FlyDSA Arena. The property is non-smoking and is situated 12 miles from Buxton Opera House.
Chatsworth House, Bakewell, Derbyshire, DE45 1PP