History of the museum
The Grosvenor Museum was built in 1885-6 to house the collections of the Chester Archaeological Society and the Chester Society of Natural Science, Literature and Art, together with schools of Science and Art. It was designed by the Chester Architect Thomas Meakin Lockwood.
The museum is named after Hugh Lupus Grosvenor, 1st Duke of Westminster, who donated a portion of the site in Grosvenor Street and part of the building costs; the rest of the costs were met by public appeal.
About the museum
The museum houses collections exploring the history of Chester, it’s art and silver heritage, and it’s natural history. Find out what life was like during the Roman military occupation. There is also a Period House with rooms from the 17th Century to the 1920’s. There is a year round programme of special events and exhibitions.
Admission to the museum is free and there is a conservatory shop located within the museum.
Monday to Saturday – 10:30am – 17:00pm
Sunday – 13:00pm – 16:00pm
Closed – 24th-28th December and 1st January
How to get there
10 minutes walk from the bus station, which is behind Chester Town Hall. From the cross, walk down Bridge Street and at the traffic lights, turn right onto Grosvenor Street. The museum is on the left hand side, just by Convivio restaurant.
20 minutes journey from Chester Railway Station. Take the shuttle bus from directly outside the station entrance to the city centre (ticket £1). The museum is a 15 minute walk from the bus stop.
The nearest public car park is The Little Roodee Coach and Car Park on Castle Drive a 5 minute walk away from the museum. There is a disabled parking bay outside the museum.
Address & Map
The Grosvenor Museum, 27 Grosvenor Street, Chester, CH1 2DD